Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Epic Weekend Prelude and Execution

Every so often I will just get a wild idea into my head. Usually it involves some sort of adventure because I am prone to exploring and wandering my way through the world. Last week I was speaking to my good friend Jen, who very recently started to join me on my little explorations, when the idea came to me that I really wanted to just get away. My immediate thought was that I wanted to just drive somewhere and see something that I have never seen. The first thing that came to mind was to explore the haunting roadside attraction of Bedrock City in Williams, AZ. From there a plan spawned very quickly and before you knew it we were setting up to leave Friday evening, yes just two days later. 

Coincidentally I had friday off of work because I had tickets to see Cold Cave, Soundgarden, and Nine Inch Nails at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater and I had taken it off as a precaution to traffic, so it was set; we would leave once I was done seeing the show, Jen driving through the night and me sleeping in the car. 

Friday approached and things got jumbled around and somehow my friend Chris ended up with an extra ticket to the show. Jen had been talking about how she had really wanted to go, so on a chance I text messaged her when she said she would be asleep and hoped for the best. by some miracle Jen received my text and she was on her way to the show. 

Cold Cave put on an amazing set and I am beyond thrilled that they were added to this leg of the tour last minute because it was a happy bonus. I am not a Soundgarden fan so I will refrain from commenting on them. Nine Inch Nails blew me away, after all of these years Trent really puts his all into his tours and played not only new songs from Hesitation Marks (which i LOVE), but also a great mix of all albums past. 

Now remember how I said that Jen was supposed to drive and I was supposed to sleep? Well since she came to the show last minute plans got rearranged and I ended up driving the first 4 1/2 hour leg of the drive. We both managed to stay up all night and on only two bathroom stops of the 7 1/2 hour drive. We were both running on adrenaline and zero calorie zero sugar Monster Energy Drinks and arrived to Bedrock City at around 7:30 AM. The day that followed was a mixture of awe, eerie, quiet, hysterical, delirious, and all around eventful. So much that it is going to take a few blogs to get through it all, so for now enjoy some images i got of the NIN stage show with my iPhone. Cold Cave played while it was still pretty light out and the sun was directly on them so i was not able to get any usable shots of them, of that i am pretty bummed, but if you haven't heard then definitely check them out!




all images © Delicate Decay Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment